Mr. Onishchenko is a seasoned lawyer with extensive domestic and international legal experience in structuring, drafting and negotiating mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, real estate transactions, restructurings, as well as advising on regulatory and corporate matters.
Sergiy Onishchenko’s practice focuses on general corporate law, international transactions, foreign investments and real estate finance. Mr. Onishchenko’s experience includes representing clients in a variety of real estate transactions, structuring and negotiating acquisitions of enterprises in Ukraine, as well as representing both lenders and borrowers in loan and equity financing. Before joining Phenomena, LLC, Mr. Onishchenko worked more than 20 years with US law firms Altheimer & Gray and Chadbourne & Parke LLP.
- Represented International Finance Corporation (IFC) in connection with US$20 million debt and equity financing of Megabank, a midsized universal commercial bank in the Kharkiv region of Ukraine.
- Advised Marfin Egnatia Bank in connection with its US$52 million financing of acquisition of a commercial property portfolio in Kyiv with a total area approximately 14,000 sq.m.
- Represented European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in connection with a €5 million loan to CJSC “Uksnab”, a company located in Krasnoperekopsk, Crimea, which is a competitive producer of commercial refrigeration equipment with a leading position in certain market segments.
- Advised a Central European supermarket chain in its due diligence review and lease of a land parcel for its first supermarket in Kyiv.
- Advised a syndicate of banks on a €60 million financing of the construction and development of the Riviera shopping centre in Odesa, focusing on structuring and negotiation of the security package.
- Represented a start-up Ukrainian supermarket retail chain Evrotek Group on the US$30 million equity investment in its business by Horizon Capital and the International Finance Corporation (IFC).
- Represented one of the world’s largest food processing companies in its acquisition of a major stake in a Ukrainian company, and further advising on its investments in Ukraine.
- Represented a major international glass container producer in an equity joint venture investment in Ukraine.
- Represented a Scottish construction company involved in several industrial and office real estate projects in Kyiv.
- Represented an international bank in a convertible loan financing to a Ukrainian glass manufacturer.
- Represented a North American railway car manufacturer in establishing its legal presence in Ukraine.
- Represented an international bank in a secured loan financing to a Ukrainian cardboard and packaging mill.
- Represented an international bank in securing its loan financing to a major Ukrainian brewery.
- Represented a Hungarian shopping mall developer in its evaluation of a shopping mall development project in Kyiv.
- Represented a large Dutch real estate investment group in acquiring, developing and leasing various office buildings in Kyiv.
- Advised a German investor on the acquisition of five kaolin companies and on corporate restructuring of the acquired companies.
- Advised European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in connection with its lease of office space in Dnipropetrovsk.
- Represented a major American real estate company in its due diligence, financing and acquisition of a majority stake in a pre-eminent office development in Kyiv.
- Advised European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and a leading French bank in connection with leasing a land plot in Kyiv.
- Acted for the owners of a chain of Ukrainian cosmetic shops on the cross-border acquisition by a foreign private equity group of an equity stake in the business.
- Represented a leading Austrian bank in connection with a US$20 million secured loan to a Ukrainian legal entity in connection with a logistics/warehouse project near Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Represented one of the “Big Four” international accountancy and professional services firms in connection with the negotiation and preparation of a long-term office lease in Kyiv.
- Advised Ukraine’s major steel pipe producer, Eastone Group, in connection with the negotiation of a construction contract for a new electric-arc furnace steel melting complex (EFSC) in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine.
Kharkiv Law Institute, Law Degree, with honours, 1988
Cornell Law School, LL.M., 1994
Mr. Onishchenko has been consistently recognised by leading international and Ukrainian legal directories such as Best Lawyers, Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, PLC Which Lawyer?, The Legal 500 and Ukrainian Law Firms for his real estate and construction, corporate/M&A, banking and finance work in Ukraine. Additionally, Mr. Onishchenko was ranked in a special survey “Client's Choice. Top-100 Best Lawyers in Ukraine 2012-2013”.
Chambers Europe 2015 wrote: “Sergiy Onishchenko is noted for his particular skill on the financial side of real estate transactions. He advises on real estate mandates ranging from acquisitions to loans and equity financing.”.